We hosted 20 amazing attendees on Thursday night at Saeng's Thai. We toasted to this new social venture with some frosty Tsingtau's and delicious spring rolls. These concerned citizens will be the new ambassadors of the plastic free movement in Kailua. I can't thank them enough for showing up!
Rachel shared the vision and planning goals of PFK. Alani told of the inspiring purpose and mission of Kanu Hawaii. Finally, Natalie spoke about the success of the Plastic Free Haleiwa Coalition and how we can bring it to Kailua.
* A planning team is forming. Email us if you want to be included and missed the meet-up.
* The ICC beach clean-up is next Saturday the 25th. Planning details below. RSVP
* The next general meeting is scheduled for Oct. 14th. We will be screening the documentary "Tapped" on the bottled water industry. Details to follow. Tentatively, meetings will be the 2nd Thursday of each month, beach clean-ups quarterly.
Until next time:
* Email in any photos from the meeting and we'll post them on our FB page.
* Register at the tab above to grow our contact database.
* Register your plastic free commitments at kanuhawaii.org and join the group page, so we can start tracking our collective impact.
* Continue to educate yourself about the value of going plastic free.
* Join and participate in our social media pages.
* Help us spread the word.
* Reduce *Reuse *BringURown
Beach Clean-up Update
We will meet at the park for check-in starting after 8:30am-9:00am. Attendees should come armed with sunscreen, water bottles, a buddy, and a smile. If you have an old clipboard, 5 gallon bucket, collander, work gloves, or anything else that might assist bring that too. We will supply some nitrile gloves, trash bags, and tally sheets.
We will divide the beach park into 4-5 zones and conquer. You can volunteer to be a zone captain. We'd like to have a small Team Kalama that moves from Kalama Park to Kailua Park. Email us if you want to join or organize that team and we'll talk logistics.
The day will culminate with a relaxing, low-impact potluck lunch at 11. Bring something to share and some reusable utensils/plates. We will supply coolers and watch your belongings at the check-in station during the clean-up. This should be a day of family and community fun! Remember to RSVP.
Comment below with any questions or email us.
An email will go out to the planning team respondents shortly.
Thanks again to everyone for their willingness and support. This fall will be a time for us to plan and grow as we move toward a hard launch in January 2011. Slow and steady wins the race.